Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Of uncertain origin.
- (5th BC Attic): IPA: /ɔ͜ɔke.anós/
- (1st BC Egyptian): IPA: /oːkɛanós/
- (4th AD Koine): IPA: /okeanós/
- (10th AD Byzantine): IPA: /oceanós/
- (15th AD Constantinopolitan): IPA: /oceanós/
- Oceanus, a Greek water god usually said to be a Titan, one of the sons of Uranus and Gaia.
- The great freshwater river thought to encompass the world disc.
- The great saline outer sea (the Atlantic), as opposed to the Mediterranean.
- Ὠκεανίς (Ōkeanís)