Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
|Kanji in this term|
- The Japanese wolf, also known as the Honshū wolf; now extinct.
- wild dog
- dhole; Asian wild dog.
- An apparition of a dog in traditional Japanese tales that may appear to travelers on mountain roads; may be friendly, or may attack and kill the traveler, depending on the tale.
- (Japanese wolf): 日本狼, ニホンオオカミ (Nihon ōkami)
- (wild dog): 野犬 (やけん, yaken)
- (dhole): ドール (dōru)
- (canine apparition appearing to travelers): 送り犬 (おくりいぬ, okuriinu)
- (canine apparition in general):