Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also hessian
- IPA: /ˈhɛsɪən/, /ˈhɛsɪɛn/ (especially the senses 'inhabitant of Hesse', 'boot')
- IPA: /ˈhɛʃən/ (especially the sense 'mercenary')
Proper noun 
Hessian (plural Hessians)
- A native or inhabitant of Hesse.
- (historical) A mercenary soldier, especially a German one who fought with the British in the American Revolutionary War.
- A boot with a low heel and semi-pointed toe, which became popular, initially among the military, in the 18th century.
- (chiefly UK) Burlap, jute.