Wiktionary:Requested entries (Burmese)
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Have an entry request? Add it to the list. - But please:
- Think twice before adding long lists of words as they may be ignored.
- If possible provide context, usage, field of relevance, etc.
Please remove entries from this list once they have been written (i.e. the link is “live”, shown in blue, and has a section for the correct language)
There are a few things you can do to help:
- For words which are listed here only in their romanized form, please add the correct form in Burmese script.
- Don’t delete words just because you don’t know them — it may be that they are used only in certain contexts or are archaic or obsolete.
- Don’t simply replace words with what you believe is the correct form. The form here may be rare or regional. Instead add the standard form and comment that the requested form seems to be an error in your experience.
- ကောင် (kaung) [kàʊɴ] classifier for animals
- ကုံး (kon:) [kóʊɴ] classifier for garlands, necklaces, stringed items
- ကျိုက် (kyaik) [tɕaɪʔ] classifier for draughts gulped down
- ကျိပ် (kyeik) [tɕeɪʔ] classifier for items in 'tens'
- ခါ (hka) [kʰà] classifier for number of times
- ခု (hku.) general classifier: Used with almost all nouns except for animate objects
- ခက် (hket) [kʰeʔ] classifier for branches, sprays of flowers
- ခင် (hkin) [kʰɪ̀ɴ] classifier for skeins of wool or cotton
- ခေါက် (hkauk) [kʰaʊʔ] classifier for trips
- ခေါင်း (hkaung:) [kʰáʊɴ] classifier for skeins of yarn
- ခိုင် (hkaing) [kʰàɪɴ] classifier for bunches of flowers, fruits
- ချီ (chi) [tɕʰì] classifier for performances or shows
- ချိုး (gyo:) [dʑó] classifier for components of a ratio
- ချက် (chet) [tɕʰɛʔ] classifier for strokes, blows, hits, points, strokes of clocks, drums, gongs, etc.
- ချောင်း (chaung:) [tɕʰáʊɴ] classifier for thin, long items (like pencils, sticks)
- ခြည် (chi) [tɕʰì] classifier for rings, bangles
- ခွန်း (hkun:) [kʰʊ́ɴ] classifier for words
- ခွက် (hkwet) classifier for open containers with liquid
- ခွေ (hkwe) [kʰwèi] classifier for rings, coils
- စင်း (sin:) [sɪ́ɴ] classifier for long-shaped items (like arrows and vehicles like boats, cars)
- စည်း (si:) [sí] classifier for bundles
- စီး (si:) [sí] classifier for vehicles and transport animals
- စု (su.) classifier for groups
- စုံ (son) [sòʊɴ] classifier for sets or pairs
- စောင် (saung) [sàʊɴ] classifier for literary pieces, documents, letters, etc.
- ဆ (hsa.) [sʰa̰] classifier for number of times per equal amount
- ဆောင် (hsaung) [sʰàʊɴ] classifier for buildings (like houses, monasteries and royal buildings)
- ဆိုင်း (hsaing) [sʰáɪɴ] classifier for work shifts, work gangs, packets of gold foil
- တန် (tan) [tàɴ] classifier for different legs of a journey, component parts of abstract concepts
- တန့် (tan.) [ta̰ɴ] classifier for bars, stripes, etc
- တုတ် (tok) [toʊʔ] classifier for carcasses of hares
- တွက် (twet) [twɛʔ] classifier for snapping of fingers
- တွဲ (twè:) [twɛ́] classifier for items in pairs, bunches or clusters
- တက်သံ -- high tone in the Burmese language
- တိုင်သံ -- checked tone in the Burmese language
- ထည် (htè) [tʰɛ̀] classifier for articles of clothing
- ထပ် (htat) [tʰaʔ] classifier for layers, strata, storeys of buildings, etc.
- ထမ်း (htan:) [tʰáɴ] classifier for loads carried with a shoulder pole (yoke)
- ထုပ် (htok) [tʰoʊʔ] classifier for packages
- ထုံး (hton) [tʰóʊɴ] classifier for knots, coils, etc.
- ထောက် (htauk) [tʰaʊʔ] classifier stages of a journey, width of a point or tip of something
- ထွာ (htwa) [tʰwà] classifier for number of hand spans
- ထွေ (htwei) [tʰwè] classifier for varied items; melds of playing cards
- နပ် (nat) [naʔ] classifier for meals
- နပန်း (năban:) naban - grappling martial arts of Burma
- နိမ့်သံ -- low tone in the Burmese language
- ပင် (pin) [pɪ̀ɴ] classifier for tall upright things (trees, plants, poles, etc); long strands (hair, thread, etc).
- ပတ် (pat) [paʔ] classifier for weeks
- ပလာတာ (pălata) palata - an Indian bread (parata), which is fried and served with sugar for breakfast, or with curried meats for lunch and dinner.
- ပါး (pa:) [pá] classifier for sacred persons or objects (such as Buddhist monks and nuns)
- ပုဒ် (pok) [poʊʔ] classifier for pieces of writing (such as articles,verse, songs, etc.)
- ပုံ (pon) [pòʊɴ] classifier for piles of material
- ပေါ (paw:) [pɔ́] classifier for bundles of seedlings
- ပေါက် (pauk) [paʊʔ] classifier for dots or drops
- ပိုင် (paing) [pàɪɴ] classifier for monk's robe; piece of silk used as headdress
- ပိုင်း (paing:) [páɪɴ] classifier part or division of something
- ပိုဒ် (paik) [paɪʔ] classifier for paragraphs
- ပျစ် (pyit) [pjɪʔ] classifier for mats of palm thatching
- ပြင် (pyin) [pjɪ̀ɴ] classifier for doctrines, concepts, dictums, etc.
- ပြန် (pyan) [pjàɴ] classifier for number of times
- ပြား (pya:) classifier for flat objects
- ပြူး (pyu:) [pjú] classifier for items in twos or pairs.
- ပြိုက် (pyaik) [pjaɪʔ] classifier for frequency of rain and snow
- ပွဲ (pwè:) [pwɛ́] classifier for dishes; offertories
- ဖန် (hpan) [pʰàɴ] classifier denoting frequency
- ဖီး (hpi:) [pʰí] classifier for hands of bananas or plantains
- ဖုံ (hpon) [pʰòʊɴ] classifier for things in heaps, batches or packs
- ဖောင် (hpaung) [pʰàʊɴ] classifier for units of height or depth equal to the height of a person standing with upraised hands (i.e. from the soles of his feet to the tips of his upraised hands)
- ဖြာ (hpya) [pʰjà] classifier denoting variety, diversity
- ဖွာ (hpwa) [pʰwà] classifier for number of puffs (from cigarettes, etc.)
- ဗန်တို (bando) - a self-defense martial art from Burma
- ဗန်ရှည် (banshe) banshay - a weapon-based martial art of Burma
- min zin[script?] - a system of internal exercise similar to Chinese Qigong
- မည် (myi) [mjì] classifier for ingredients of a drug; kinds of dishes served
- မီဆွမ် (mihsun) [mìsʰʊ̀ɴ] mee swan - a Chinese dish of noodles in a broth served with herbs and little meat.
- မှုတ် (hmok) [m̥oʊʔ] classifier for number of scoops with a dipper or ladle
- မုန့်ဟင်းခါး (mon.hin:ga:) [mo̰ʊɴhɪ́ŋɡá] mohinga - a dish of rice vermicelli with fish gravy (orange in colour) and usually accompanied by coriander and with chilli powder
- မျက် (myet) [mjɛʔ] classifier for bundles of loops in a skein of cotton
- မြူ (myu) [mjù] classifier for pots of toddy wine
- မြှောင့် (hmyaung) [m̥ja̰ʊɴ] classifier for longitudinally divided segments (such as cloves of garlic)
- မြွှာ (hmwa) [m̥wà] classifier for segments of fruit (such as cloves of garlic); parts of a multiparous birth (such as twins)
- မုတ္ထမမြို့ (mokhtăma.myo.) [moʊʔtʰəma̰mjo̰] - Mottama, a city in Burma
- ယာ (ya) [jà] classifier for betel quids
- ယောက် (yauk) [jaʊʔ] classifier for people: Used in informal context
- ယှက် (shet) [ʃeʔ] classifier for thin slices of food (such as pancake, waffle, etc.)
- ရစ် (yit) [jɪʔ] classifier for instalments, stages, chevrons, stripes, etc.
- ရှဉ်း (shin:) [ʃɪ́ɴ] classifier for pairs of draught cattle
- ရန် (yan) [jàɴ] classifier for objects in pairs
- ရှန်ဂရီလာ (shan-gărila) - Shangri-La
- ရပ် (yat) [jaʔ] classifier for itemisation; expressing things in terms of a man's height
- ရေစီး (yezi:) [jèzí] classifier for leaves in a parabaik (Pali manuscripts)
- ရေး (ye:) [jé] classifier for stretches of sleep
- ရောင်ထုံး (yaungdon:) yaung don - traditional Burmese hairstyle
- ရိုက် (yaik) [jaɪʔ] classifier for lengths measured with a bamboo pole
- ရွက် (ywet) [jwɛʔ] classifier for counting sheets
- လက် (let) [lɛʔ] classifier for elongated items; turns in the game of dice
- လက်ဖက်သုပ် (lăhpetthok) laphet thoke - a salad of fermented tea leaves and a variety of nuts commonly mixed with sliced lettuce and eaten with rice
- လက်ဝှေ့ (let-hwe.) - Burmese boxing, Myanmar Traditional Boxing
- လား (la:) [lá] classifier for races in a contest consisting of a series of cart or boat races
- လီ (li) [lì] classifier for multiples, frequencies
- လှီး (hli:) to slice
- လုတ် (lok) [loʊʔ] classifier for mouthfuls of food
- လုံး (lon:) [lóʊɴ] classifier for round, globular things
- လေး (le:) [lé] classifier used in connection with multiples or in replicate, parts of a ratio
- လော (law:) [lɔ́] classifier for number of times
- လှိုင်း (hlaing) [l̥áɪɴ] classifier for sheaves of paddy
- လွှာ (hlwa) [l̥wà] classifier for layers, strata, etc.
- ဝါး (wa:) [wá] classifier for handsbreadth
- သား (tha:) [θá] classifier for number of ticals or fractions of a tical or viss
- သုတ် (thok) [θoʊʔ] classifier for movements in groups or operations in shifts
- thaw lar gyi[script?] - a kind of local commuter three-wheeled vehicle
- သိုင်း (thaing:) thaing - a term used to classify the indigenous martial systems of ancient Burma (or Myanmar). The word "thaing" loosely translates to "total combat".
- သွယ် (thwè) [θwɛ̀] classifier for long, sinuous things (such as strands of pearls, garlands of flowers); paths, ways, methods, means, etc.
- သက်သံ -- creaky tone in the Burmese language
အ ဣ ဤ ဥ ဦ ဧ ဩ ဪ
- အုန်းနို့ခေါက်ဆွဲ (onno.hkaukhswè:) ohno kaukswe - a dish of thicker noodles in a thick soup of coconut milk often with chicken and having a strong taste and odour