Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive) To make suitable; to make to correspond; to fit or suit; to proportion.
- (transitive) To fit by alteration; to modify or remodel for a different purpose; to adjust: as, to adapt a story or a foreign play for the stage; to adapt an old machine to a new manufacture.
- (transitive) To make by altering or fitting something else; to produce by change of form or character: as, to bring out a play adapted from the French; a word of an adapted form.
- (intransitive) To change oneself so as to be adapted.
- They could not adapt to the new climate and so perished.
terms derived from adapt (verb)
terms related to adapt (verb)
To make suitable
To fit by alteration
To make by altering (e.g. adapt a book)
to change to make oneself suitable
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- adapt in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911