Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
agency (plural agencies)
- The faculty of acting or of exerting power; the state of being in action; action; instrumentality.
- The superintendence and agency of Providence in the natural world. --Woodward.
- The office of an agent, or factor.
- The relation between a principal and his agent.
- Business of one entrusted with the concerns of another.
- The place of business of an agent.
- A bond issued by a US government-backed entity, such as Fannie Mae.
Derived terms 
- dating agency
- escort agency
- introduction agency
- news agency
- press agency
- relief agency
- syndication agency
- travel agency
Related terms