Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Approaching; proximate; nearly resembling.
- Near correctness; nearly exact; not perfectly accurate.
- Approximate results or values.
- To help carry out its mission, NASA's Genesis spacecraft has on board an ion monitor to record the speed, density, temperature and approximate composition of the solar wind ions.
Approaching; proximate; nearly resembling
Near correctness; nearly exact; not perfectly accurate;
- To carry or advance near; to cause to approach.
- To approximate the inequality of riches to the level of nature. --Burke.
- To come near to; to approach.
- The telescope approximates perfection. --J. Morse.
- To estimate.
When you follow two separate chains of thought, Watson, you will find some point of intersection which should approximate to the truth.
— Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax
to carry or advance near; to cause to approach
to come near to; to approach
- first-person plural present active imperative of approximō