Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Present participle of bake.
baking (not comparable)
- Intended for use in baking.
- Here is a baking tray for the cookies.
- (figuratively) Of a person, the weather, or an object, very hot.
- I'm baking - could you open the window?
- An action in which something is baked
- I'm going to do some baking this afternoon.
1861, Harriet Jacobs (AKA Linda Brent), Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl:
- Upon these terms, after working hard all day for her mistress, she began her midnight bakings, assisted by her two oldest children.
- The way in which something is baked
1871, Ledyard Bill, Minnesota; Its Character and Climate:
- How often have we risen in the morning, after spending the night in this manner, with a feeling akin to that which we fancy would come from being knocked in the head with a sack of meal, then gently stewed, and all out of pure fraternal regard to supply any deficiencies in our original bakings.
1913, Captain R. F. Scott, Scott's Last Expedition Volume I:
- Clissold's work of cooking has fallen on Hooper and Lashly, and it is satisfactory to find that the various dishes and bread bakings maintain their excellence.
action of to bake