Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic) Spending time in prison or jail.
- My uncle has been banged up for ten years now; I haven't seen him in five.
- (idiomatic) Physically injured or wounded.
- He is banged up: he suffers strain to left shoulder.
- "It does hurt, not just my ankle but all over. I'm banged up like hell. But I'm not, you know, hurt. Like needing an X Ray or the infirmary or whatever." - "Middle Age : A Romance" (2001) by Joyce Carol Oates (Fourth Estate, paperback edition, 164)