Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To start something mechanical, an act that often used to involve cranking.
- Let's crank up the old motorcycle and take it for a spin.
- (idiomatic) To increase, as the volume, power or energy of something.
- He cranked up the volume to 11.
- 2010 December 28, Marc Vesty, “Stoke 0 - 2 Fulham”, BBC:
- And it was not until Ryan Shawcross's towering header was cleared off the line by Danny Murphy on the stroke of half-time that Stoke started to crank up the pressure and suggest they were capable of getting back into the match.
To start something mechanical