Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive, obsolete) To cut short the tail of an animal
- Curtailing horses procured long horse-hair.
- (transitive) To shorten or abridge the duration of something; to truncate.
- When the audience grew restless, the speaker curtailed her speech.
- (transitive, figuratively) To limit or restrict, keep in check.
- Their efforts to curtail spending didn't quite succeed.
- Our incomes have been curtailed; his salary has been doubled.
to cut short an animal's tail
to shorten or abridge
to limit or restrict
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
curtail (plural curtails)