Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also Delete
From Latin deletus, past participle of delere (“destroy, blot out, efface”), from delevi, originally perf. tense of delinere (“to daub, erase by smudging”), from de- (“from, away”) + linere (“to smear, wipe”).
- Alternative spelling of Delete.
- I lost the file when I accidentally hit delete.
- To remove, get rid of or erase, especially written or printed material, or data on a computer.
- (computing) To hide, conceal
- (to get rid of): erase, strike, terminate, cease existence, remove, rub out, strike out, obliterate, cancel, cross out, score, scrub, scrap, scratch, expunge, eliminate, blue-pencil, exclude, squelch
- (to get rid of): maintain
Related terms 
- second-person plural present active imperative of dēleō
- vocative masculine singular of dēlētus