Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive) To harm the good reputation of a person; to cause an idea or piece of evidence to seem false or unreliable.
- The candidate tried to discredit his opponent.
- The evidence would tend to discredit such a theory.
- The act of discrediting or disbelieving, or the state of being discredited or disbelieved.
- Later accounts have brought the story into discredit.
- A degree of dishonour or disesteem; ill repute; reproach.
- It is the duty of every Christian to be concerned for the reputation or discredit his life may bring on his profession.