Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
ensign (plural ensigns)
- A badge of office, rank, or power.
- The ensigns of our power about we bear.
- The lowest grade of commissioned officer in the United States Navy, junior to a lieutenant junior grade.
- A flag or banner carried by military units. See standard, color, colour.
- Hang up your ensigns, let your drums be still.
- (nautical) The principal flag or banner flown by a ship to indicate nationality.
- A junior commissioned officer in the 18th and 19th Centuries whose duty was to carry the unit's ensign.
- A prominent flag or banner.
- Ten thousand thousand ensigns high advanced. -Milton, Paradise Lost.
- (obsolete) To designate as by an ensign.
- To distinguish by a mark or ornament
- (heraldry) To distinguish by an ornament, especially by a crown.
- Any charge which has a crown immediately above or upon it, is said to be ensigned.