Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also ERN
Etymology 1 
Alteration of erne
ern (plural erns)
- Alternative spelling of erne.
Etymology 2 
Alternative forms 
- earn (Scotland)
- (UK dialectal) To run; flow.
- (UK dialectal, Scotland) To (cause to) coagulate; curdle (milk) by adding rennet and applying heat.
Etymology 3 
- (intransitive, obsolete) To stir with strong emotion; grieve; mourn.
- (UK dialectal, Scotland) To pain; torture.
- (UK dialectal, Scotland) (of the eyes) To cause to water; smart.