Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To sputter or hiss.
- The soda fizzled for several minutes after it was poured.
- Ben Jonson
- It is the easest thing, sir, to be done, / As plain as fizzling.
- (figuratively) To decay or die off to nothing; to burn out; to end less successfully than previously hoped.
- The entire project fizzled after the founder retired.
Derived terms 
to splutter or hiss
to decay or die off to nothing
fizzle (plural fizzles)
- A spluttering or hissing sound.
- Failure of a nuclear bomb to meet its expected yield during testing.
spluttering or hissing sound