Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
footman (plural footmen)
- A soldier who marches and fights on foot; a foot soldier.
- A man in waiting; a male servant whose duties are to attend the door, the carriage, the table, etc.
- Formerly, a servant who ran in front of his master's carriage; a runner.
- A metallic stand with four feet, for keeping anything warm before a fire.
- (zoology) A moth of the family Lithosidae; -- so called from its livery-like colors.
A soldier who marches and fights on foot
a male servant whose duties are to attend the door