Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- An egg that has been shallow-fried on one or both sides.
1997 03/20, Kristin Eddy, “EGGS a dozen ways”, Atlanta Journal Constitution:
- It's difficult to have a perfectly cooked, cooked-through fried egg because, by the time the yolk has coagulated, or set, the white is overcooked. You'll usually have to settle for either a runny yolk or a tough white.
1997 04/16, JANET FLETCHER, “FLEETING PLEASURES; The first blush of spring's harvest”, San Francisco Chronicle:
- Carefully break the egg into a bowl, […] Cook until the egg white is set, then turn and cook briefly. The yolk should still be runny. […] Top with the fried egg.
2004 Autumn, Julie Keith, “Pneumonia”, The Hudson Review, volume 57, Iss. 3, page 440:
- "Your dad said you should have a fried egg. He's gone to work awhile back. You want one or two?" I hesitated, and she must have caught a look of distaste on my face, for she added amiably, "Or you like scrambled better?"
- (golf, slang) A golf ball half-buried in sand in a bunker.
- Commonly referred to in parts of the US as "egg, sunny side up" or "egg, over easy".
egg that has been shallow fried
- over easy
- sunny side up
- Fried egg on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Fried egg on Wikimedia Commons. Wikimedia Commons