Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Garland
garland (plural garlands)
- A wreath, especially one of plaited flowers or leaves, worn on the body or draped as a decoration.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Alexander Pope to this entry?)
- An accolade or mark of honour.
- (mining) A metal gutter placed round a mine shaft on the inside, to catch water running down inside the shaft and run it into a drainpipe.
- The crown of a monarch.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Grafton to this entry?)
- (dated) A book of extracts in prose or poetry; an anthology.
- They [ballads] began to be collected into little miscellanies under the name of garlands.
- The top; the thing most prized.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shakespeare to this entry?)
- (nautical) A sort of netted bag used by sailors to keep provisions in.
- (nautical) A grommet or ring of rope lashed to a spar for convenience in handling.
wreath of flowers
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (transitive) To deck or ornament something with a garland
- (transitive) To form something into a garland