Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
ornament (plural ornaments)
- An element of decoration; that which embellishes or adorns.
- Like that long-buried body of the king / Found lying with his urns and ornaments.
- 1919: P. G. Wodehouse, My Man Jeeves
- I'm a bit short on brain myself; the old bean would appear to have been constructed more for ornament than for use.
2012 March 1, Brian Hayes, “Pixels or Perish”, American Scientist, volume 100, number 2, page 106:
- Drawings and pictures are more than mere ornaments in scientific discourse. Blackboard sketches, geological maps, diagrams of molecular structure, astronomical photographs, MRI images, the many varieties of statistical charts and graphs: These pictorial devices are indispensable tools for presenting evidence, for explaining a theory, for telling a story.
- A Christmas tree decoration.
- (music) A musical flourish that is unnecessary to the overall melodic or harmonic line, but serves to decorate or "ornament" that line.
element of decoration
Christmas tree decoration
- To decorate.
- We will ornament the windows with trim to make the room seem brighter.
- To add to.
- The editor ornamented his plain writing, making it fancier but less clear.