Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (mining) originally, a hole in a mineshaft where an orebody is mined upwards until it breaks through the surface into the open air.
- (slang, sexual) a hole in a screen or wall big enough to allow an erect penis to be stuck through, made to facilitate anonymous sex with another person.
- Glory holes are often found in public toilets and are likely to be used for gay male activities.
- (slang) a military trench.
- (glassblowing) A hole in the side of a furnace used to heat glass held on a metal rod
- (slang, Scotland) a deep built-in cupboard under the eaves or stairs of a house used for general storage, particularly of unrelated or unwanted items stored in some disorder
- (slang, naval) in merchant and Royal Navy:
- In the Navy this refers to a place for general untidinesses.
- On passenger liners the Stewards' mess is referred to as the the 'glory hole'
- On coal-burning tramp steamers, the stokehold was referred to as the 'glory hole'
- An excavation into the sea floor designed to protect the wellhead equipment installed at the surface of a petroleum well from icebergs or pack ice.