Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From Middle English cuppebord.
cupboard (plural cupboards)
- An enclosed storage space with a door, usually having shelves, used to store crockery, food, etc.
- Put the cups in the cupboard.
- 1932, Maurice Baring, chapter 20, Friday's Business:
- Eurydice pointed to the cupboard, and sat down on the low divan with folded hands, and looked at the floor.
- 1997, J. K. Rowling, “The Vanishing Glass”, in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone:
- Harry was used to spiders, because the cupboard under the stairs was full of them, and that was where he slept.
- (obsolete) A table or sideboard on which to display or store cups, dishes etc.
Derived terms 
- airing cupboard
- cupboard love
- fume cupboard
- hot cupboard
- skeleton in the cupboard