Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- to disturb or halt an ongoing process or action by interfering suddenly.
- A maverick politician repeatedly interrupted the debate by shouting.
- (computing) To assert to a computer that an exceptional condition must be handled.
- The packet receiver circuit interrupted the microprocessor.
Related terms 
to disturb or halt an ongoing process or action
to assert an exceptional condition
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (computing) An event that causes a computer to temporarily cease what it was doing and attend to a condition
- The interrupt caused the packet handler routine to run.
An event that causes a computer to temporarily cease