Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also Jewel
- (RP, US) IPA: /ˈdʒuːəl/, /ˈdʒʊːəl/, X-SAMPA: /"dZu:@l/, /"dZU:@l/
- (Canada, US) IPA: /dʒuɫ/, /ˈdʒuwl̩/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -uːl
- Homophone: joule
jewel (plural jewels)
- A precious or semi-precious stone; gem, gemstone.
- A valuable object used for personal ornamentation, especially one made of precious metals and stones; a piece of jewellery.
- (figuratively) Anything considered precious or valuable.
- Galveston was the jewel of Texas prior to the hurricane.
- See also Wikisaurus:gemstone
valuable object for ornamentation
anything considered precious or valuable
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked