Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- magitian (obsolete)
magician (plural magicians)
- A person who plays with or practices allegedly supernatural magic.
- A spiritualist or practitioner of mystic arts (often derogatory).
2014 June 21, “Magician’s brain”, The Economist, volume 411, number 8892:
- The truth is that [Isaac] Newton was very much a product of his time. The colossus of science was not the first king of reason, Keynes wrote after reading Newton’s unpublished manuscripts. Instead “he was the last of the magicians”.
- A performer of tricks or an escapologist.
- An amazingly talented craftsman or scientist.
- A person who astounds, is an enigma.
- (practitioner of allegedly supernatural magic): sorcerer, thaumaturge, wizard, warlock, witch
- (spiritualist or practitioner of mystic arts): spiritualist, mystic, witch doctor
- (performer of tricks): wizard, trickster
- (talented craftsman or scientist): whizz, whiz, wiz, wizard
- (person who astounds, is an enigma): phenomenon
- See also Wikisaurus:magician
practitioner of allegedly supernatural magic
spiritualist or practitioner of mystic arts
performer of tricks
amazingly talented craftsman or scientist
person who astounds, is an enigma
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked