Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Constant concern over material possessions and wealth; a great or excessive regard for worldly concerns.
- The irregular fears of a future state had been supplanted by the materialism of Epicurus.
- (philosophy) The philosophical belief that nothing exists beyond what is physical.
- (obsolete, rare) Material substances in the aggregate; matter.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of A. Chalmers to this entry?)
- (philosophy): idealism
Derived terms 
Related terms 
concern over material possessions
See also 
- materialism in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- materialism in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
Declension of materialism