Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A keepsake; an object kept as a reminder of a place or event.
- I kept the shell as a memento of my visit to the seashore.
2011 December 16, Denis Campbell, “Hospital staff 'lack skills to cope with dementia patients'”, Guardian:
- Many hospitals have not taken simple steps to lessen the distress and confusion which dementia sufferers' often feel on being somewhere so unfamiliar – such as making signs large and easy to read, using colour schemes to help patients find their way around unfamiliar wards and not putting family mementoes such as photographs nearby.
- The alternate spelling momento is so common, some references now no longer consider it a misspelling.
- “memento” in Dictionary.com Unabridged, v1.0.1, Lexico Publishing Group, 2006. (usage note)
memento m (plural mementi)
- second-person singular future active imperative of meminī - remember!
memento m (Cyrillic spelling мементо)