Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
metric (not comparable)
- of or relating to the metric system of measurement
- (music) of or relating to the meter of a piece of music.
- (mathematics, physics) Of or relating to distance
Derived terms 
- metric carat
- metric level
- metric system
- metric space
- metric structure
relating to metric system
relating to musical meter
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
metric (plural metrics)
- A measure for something; a means of deriving a quantitative measurement or approximation for otherwise qualitative phenomena (especially used in Software Engineering)
- As for the large number of official statements that Spain is safe, I think they are merely a metric of the complacency that has characterised the European crisis from the start. Financial Times, April 10, 2011
- (mathematics) A measurement of the "distance" between two points in some metric space: it is a real-valued function d(x,y) between points x and y satisfying the following properties: (1) "positive definiteness": and , (2) "symmetry": , and (3) "triangle inequality": .
measure for something
notion in mathematics
- (transitive, aerospace, systems engineering) To measure or analyse statistical data concerning the quality or effectiveness of a process.
- we need to metric the status of software documentation
- we need to metric the verification of requirements
- we need to metric the system failures
- the project manager is metricking the closure of the action items
- customer satisfaction was metricked by the marketing department