over the top
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic) Bold; beyond normal, expected, or reasonable limits; excessive; outrageous.
- He has always had an independent style, but don't you think purple spiky hair is a bit over the top?
- 2007, Bruce Jenkins, "The Chronicle Sports Columnist Blog," San Francisco Chronicle, 26 Aug,
- Myers went over the top in the clubhouse, berating a reporter who questioned Myers' terminology.
- Over the top occurs only following a copula as the object of a sentence, as above, whereas
- Over-the-top is used where the adjective occurs before the word it modifies, as
- He gave an over-the-top performance.
beyond normal, expected, or reasonable limits; excessive; exaggerated
- (from World War One) Over the parapet of a trench, especially at the start of a futile attack.
- The men were sent over the top to their certain death.
- "over the top" in the Dictionary.com Unabridged, v1.0.1, Lexico Publishing Group, 2006.
- Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd ed., 1989.