Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /pəˈhæps/
- (General American) IPA(key): /pɚˈhæps/
- (General American) (colloquial) (nonstandard) IPA(key): /ˈpɹæps/
Audio (US) (file)
Audio (UK) (file)
- Rhymes: -æps
- Hyphenation: per‧haps
perhaps (not comparable)
- Modifies a verb, indicating a lack of certainty.
1918, W. B. Maxwell, chapter 7, The Mirror and the Lamp:
- With some of it on the south and more of it on the north of the great main thoroughfare that connects Aldgate and the East India Docks, St. Bede's at this period of its history was perhaps the poorest and most miserable parish in the East End of London.
2013 June 7, David Simpson, “Fantasy of navigation”, The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 26, page 36:
- It is tempting to speculate about the incentives or compulsions that might explain why anyone would take to the skies in [the] basket [of a balloon]: perhaps out of a desire to escape the gravity of this world or to get a preview of the next; […].
- Perhaps John will come over for dinner.
- (rare) By chance.
- "...will live until he dies perhaps, and then lie down in clover." --Landlord, Fill the Flowing Bowl (song)
indicating a lack of certainty