Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
(Redirected from possessed of)
Audio (US) (file)
- simple past tense and past participle of
- controlled by evil spirits.
- He was exorcised because he was thought to be possessed by the Devil.
- Seized by powerful emotions.
- (construed with of, not comparable) Having; owning.
- The president was possessed of great wealth.
- 1854, Dickens, Hard Times:
- 'Girl number twenty unable to define a horse!' said Mr Gradgrind, for the general behoof of all the little pitchers. 'Girl number twenty possessed of no facts, in reference to one of the commonest of animals!'
controlled by evil spirits