Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- prævaricate (archaic)
- (transitive, intransitive, obsolete) To deviate, transgress; to go astray (from).
- (intransitive) To shift or turn from direct speech or behaviour; to evade the truth; to waffle or be (intentionally) ambiguous.
- The people saw the politician prevaricate every day.
- (intransitive, law) To collude, as where an informer colludes with the defendant, and makes a sham prosecution.
- (law, UK) To undertake something falsely and deceitfully, with the purpose of defeating or destroying it.
shift or turn from direct speech or behaviour, to equivocate