Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
purpose (plural purposes)
- An object to be reached; a target; an aim; a goal.
- A result that is desired; an intention.
- The act of intending to do something; resolution; determination.
- The subject of discourse; the point at issue.
- The reason for which something is done, or the reason it is done in a particular way.
- (target): aim, goal, object, target
- (intention): aim, plan, intention
- (determination): determination, intention, resolution
- (subject of discourse): matter, subject, topic
- (reason for doing something): reason
- See also Wikisaurus:goal
terms derived from purpose
subject of discourse
reason for doing something
to be checked
- German: Zweck m
- (transitive) Have set as one's purpose; resolve to accomplish; intend; plan.
- (transitive) (passive) Designed for some purpose.
- (obsolete, intransitive) To have a purpose or intention; to discourse.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Spenser to this entry?)
passive: designed for some purpose
- “purpose” in Dictionary.com Unabridged, v1.0.1, Lexico Publishing Group, 2006.
- “purpose” in The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition, Houghton Mifflin Company, 2000.
- "purpose" in WordNet 3.0, Princeton University, 2006.