- (military, historical) A narrow space between the foot of the rampart and the scarp of the ditch, serving to receive the earth that may crumble off or be washed down, and prevent its falling into the ditch.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Wilhelm to this entry?)
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
relais m (plural relais)
- A horse (or team of horses) that transported a rider or coach etc from one staging post to another
- A hotel that is used as a stop on long journeys
- (electronics) relay (electromechanical device)
- (sports) relay race
relais m (invariable)
- relay (electrical)