shearing (not comparable)
- Tending to cut or tear.
- Present participle of shear.
shearing (plural shearings)
- The act or operation of clipping with shears or a shearing machine, as the wool from sheep, or the nap from cloth.
- The product of the act or operation of clipping with shears or a shearing machine.
- the whole shearing of a flock; the shearings from cloth
- Alternative form of shearling..
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Youatt to this entry?)
- (Scotland) The act or operation of reaping.
- The act or operation of dividing with shears.
- the shearing of metal plates
- The process of preparing shear steel; tilting.
- (mining) The process of making a vertical side cutting in working into a face of coal.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.