Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
shutter (plural shutters)
- (usually plural) Protective panels, usually wooden, placed over windows to block out the light.
- (photography) The part of a camera that opens for a controlled period of time to let light in during taking a picture.
Derived terms 
protective panels over windows
part of a camera
- (transitive) To close shutters covering.
- Shutter the windows, there's a storm coming!
- To close up (a building or an operation) for a prolonged period of inoccupancy.
- It took all day to shutter the cabin now that the season has ended.
- The US is seeking to get Iran to shutter its nuclear weapons program.