Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Snitch
- (transitive) To steal, quickly and quietly.
- (transitive) To inform on.
- (slang, transitive) To contact or cooperate with the police for any reason.
snitch (plural snitches)
- A thief.
- An informer, usually one who betrays his group.
- (Discuss(+) this sense) (UK) A nose.
- 1897, W.S. Maugham, Lisa of Lambeth, chapter 1
- 1960, Barbara Wright (tr.), Zazie in the metro, Penguin Classics, translation of Zazie dans le métro by Raymond Queneau, ISBN 9780142180044, published 2001, page 96:
- He added in conclusion that he strongly disliked the police coming and sticking its nose into his affairs and, since the horror which such actions inspired in him was not far from making him wish to vomit, he extracted from his pocket a silken square of the colour of the lilac flower (the one that isn’t white) but impregnated with Barbouze, the Fior perfume, and with it dabbed his snitch.
- 1978, Brenda R. Silver quoting Alan Bennett, Virginia Woolf icon, University of Chicago Press, ISBN 9780226757452, published 1999, Take Seven: British Graffiti: Me ,I'm Afraid of Virginia Woolf and Sammy And Rosie Get Laid, page 158:
- On one level clearly emblematic of her class status, “she’d have really looked down her snitch at me”), Virginia Woolf's nose, both Bennett and his audience would know, signifies as well the far more frightening power, the phallic power, attributed to women, strong women in particular.
- 1994, Christine Marion Fraser, Noble Beginnings, HarperCollins, ISBN 9780002241014, page 74:
- ‘Yes, I’m a witch! I wiggle my snitch![...]’
- 1999 September 27, "billy", “Re: Babies Having Babies”, uk.media.tv.misc, Usenet:
- Bluenoze: Blow your nose to clear your snitch of whatever it is you've been snorting and read the postings again.
- 1999 March 26, G Greenway, “Re: aah-cho!!”, alt.gothic, Usenet:
- Question: do benign bacteria live in one's snitch and keep the other, nastier ones at bay ?
- 2001 July 27, catmandoo, “Re: Please help me to be 'correct'.”, uk.local.isle-of-wight, Usenet:
- Have a perpetual dew drop hanging from your snitch
informer, usually one who betrays his group