Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Tipple
tipple (plural tipples)
- An area near the entrance of mines which is used to load and unload coal.
- (rail transport) An apparatus for unloading railroad freight cars by tipping them; the place where this is done.
- (slang) Any alcoholic drink.
- (alcoholic drink): see Wikisaurus:alcoholic beverage
slang: any alcoholic drink
apparatus for unloading railroad freight cars by tipping them
area near the entrance of mines used to load and unload coal
- To sell alcoholic liquor by retail. [from earlier 16th c.]
- To drink too much alcohol. [from mid-16th c.]
- To drink alcohol regularly or habitually, but not to excess.
- Few of those who were summoned left their homes, and those few generally found it more agreeable to tipple in alehouses than to pace the streets.
- To put up (hay, etc.) in bundles in order to dry it.
- (to drink regularly but not in excess): bibble
To sell alcoholic liquor by retail
To drink too much alcohol
to drink alcohol regularly, but not to excess