Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) The practice of jumping into the sea or similar body of water from a cliff or other high point such that the jumper enters the water vertically straight, like a tombstone
- (electronics) An unwanted effect in the manufacture of electronic circuit boards, in which a component stands up on end instead of lying flat
- (journalism) In page layout, putting articles side by side so that the headlines are adjacent. The phenomenon is also referred to as bumping heads.
- (Southern US) In highway driving, a blockage in traffic caused by a semi-trailer truck attempting to pass another with insufficient acceleration.
- (digital libraries) The practice of leaving a marker in a location where a digital record has been withdrawn, in order to signify that the record had previously existed.
- (unwanted effect in which a component stands up on end): tombstone effect, drawbridging, Manhattan effect
unwanted effect in which a component stands up on end
- Present participle of tombstone.