Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- enPR: tûrʹ-nĭng, IPA: /ˈtɜr.nɪŋ/, X-SAMPA: /"t3r.nIN/
- Rhymes: -ɜː(r)nɪŋ
- Hyphenation: turn‧ing
- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)nɪŋ
turning (plural turnings)
- (UK) A turn or deviation from a straight course.
- Take the second turning on the left.
- A shaping of wood or metal on a lathe.
- The act of turning.
- (plural only) Shavings produced by turning something on a lathe.
- The turnings get into your trouser turnups!
Derived terms 
The shaping of wood or metal on a lathe
The shavings produced by turning something on a lathe
- Present participle of turn.
- The Earth is turning about its axis as we speak.
- He made wooden soldiers by turning them on a hand lathe.