Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Present participle of cut.
- (countable, uncountable) The action of the verb to cut.
- How many different cuttings can this movie undergo?
- (countable) A section removed from the larger whole.
- (countable) A newspaper clipping.
- (countable) A leaf, stem, branch, or root removed from a plant and cultivated to grow a new plant.
- (countable) An abridged selection of written work, often intended for performance.
- The actor had to make his cutting shorter to fit the audition time.
- (uncountable) The editing of film or other recordings.
- (uncountable) Self-harm; the act of cutting one's own skin.
- (countable) A narrow passage, dug for a road, railway or canal to go through.
- (narrow passage for a transportation route): cut
action of to cut
a newspaper clipping
a leaf, stem, branch, or root removed from a plant
an abridged selection of written work
editing of film
self-harm: the act of cutting one's own skin
passage dug for a road, railway or canal
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- (not comparable) That is used for cutting.
- I need some sort of cutting utensil to get through this shrink wrap.
- Of remarks, criticism, etc., potentially hurtful.
- The director gave the auditioning actors cutting criticism.