- To become invisible or to move out of view unnoticed.
- (mathematics) To become equal to zero.
- The function f(x)=x^2 vanishes at x=0.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
vanish (plural vanishes)
- (phonetics) The brief terminal part of a vowel or vocal element, differing more or less in quality from the main part.
- a as in ale ordinarily ends with a vanish of i as in ill.
- o as in old ordinarily ends with a vanish of oo as in foot.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Rush to this entry?)
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.