Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
- vinegarette (box for vinegar or smelling salts)
vinaigrette (plural vinaigrettes)
- A sauce, made of vinegar, oil, and other ingredients, used especially for cold meats, or as a salad dressing.
- (obsolete) A small perforated box for holding aromatic vinegar contained in a sponge, or a smelling bottle for smelling salts; called also vinegarette.
- (obsolete) A small, two-wheeled vehicle, like a Bath chair, to be drawn or pushed by a boy or man.
- A sort of Russian salad, originally using French salad dressing.
vinaigrette f (plural vinaigrettes)