Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- womanise (non-Oxford British spelling)
- (intransitive, said of a man) To seduce women, especially lecherously.
- (transitive, usually figuratively) To turn into a woman; to feminize.
a. 1590, Phillip Sidney, The Countess of Pembroke's Arcadia:
- And herein do these kinds of loves imitate the excellent; for as the love of heaven makes one heavenly, the love of virtue virtuous, so doth the love of the world make one become worldly; and this effeminate love of a woman doth so womanize a man that, if he yield to it, will not only make him an Amazon, but a launder, a distaff, a spinner, or whatsoever other vile occupation their idle heads can imagine and their weak hands perform.
2000, Randy Lee Eickhoff, The sorrows, page 84:
- Another bolt passed between Iucharba's legs, nearly womanizing him with its blast of heat. "EEEeeeYOW!" he howled.
2000, Claudia V. Camp, Wise, Strange and Holy: The Strange Woman and the Making of the Bible, page 104:
- Samson himself is a gender paradox: while the focus on his hair links him with the women he pursues, it is also the source of his masculine strength, whose loss womanizes him.
2008, Wendy Olmsted, The Imperfect Friend: Emotion and Rhetoric in Sidney, Milton and their Contexts:
- Love for a woman was believed to produce an especially dangerous kind of effeminacy. Following this line of thinking, Musidorus charges that Pyrocles' infatuation threatens to 'womanize' him