Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
Wikipedia wreath (plural wreaths)
- Something twisted, intertwined, or curled.
- a wreath of smoke
- a wreath of clouds
- An ornamental circular band made e.g. of plaited flowers and leaves, and used as decoration; a garland; a chaplet, especially one given to a victor.
- (heraldry) An appendage to the shield, placed above it, and supporting the crest. It generally represents a twist of two cords of silk, one tinctured like the principal metal, the other like the principal color in the coat of arms.
something twisted and curled
heraldry: support of a crest
wreath (third-person singular simple present wreaths, present participle wreathing, simple past and past participle wreathed)
- To place an entwined circle of flowers upon or around something.
- To wrap around something in a circle.
- At the funeral, a circle of comrades wreath the grave of the honored deceased.
to place a wreath around something
to wrap around something in a circle