From the root ח־ל־ק (ḥ-l-q).
- A department, such as a university department, a government department, or a department of a hospital.
- הוא פרופסור במחלקה אחרת. — hu profésor b'makhlaká akhéret. — He's a professor in another department.
- (military) A platoon.
- (mathematics) A class: a collection of sets defined by a common property.
- (computing) A class: a set of objects with common behavior, or a template defining such a set.
- (biology) A class: a taxonomic rank below phylum and above order, or a taxon at that level.
- (mathematics) A coset: the set (and hence group) consisting of the results of the group operation applied to an element of a group and each element of one of its subgroups.