From Proto-Indo-Aryan *Hantár, from Proto-Indo-Iranian *Hantár (“between”), from Proto-Indo-European *h₁entér (“between”). Cognate with Latin inter (“between, under”), Oscan 𐌀𐌍𐌕𐌄𐌓 (anter, “between”), Old Irish eter (“between”), Old High German untar (“between”).
अन्तर् • (antár)
- within, between, amongst, in the middle or interior
- (with locative) in the middle, in, between, into
- (with accusative) between
- (with genitive) in, in the middle
- (at the end of a compound) in, into, in the middle of, between, out of the midst of
Is sometimes compounded with a following word like an adjective, meaning "interior", "internal", "intermediate".
- अन्तर (ántara)