Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /wɪðˈɪn/
- (US) IPA(key): /wɪðˈɪn/, /wɪˈθɪn/
- (Scotland) IPA(key): /wɪˈθɪn/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: with‧in
- Indicates spatial enclosure or containment.
- within his hearing; within her studio
- Indicates figurative inclusion within the scope of.
- within five seconds of breaking the record; within an inch of falling overboard
- 2011, Tom Fordyce, Rugby World Cup 2011: England 12-19 France 
- England struck back with a fine try from Ben Foden and closed to within seven points with three minutes left when Mark Cueto capitalised on a break from replacement Matt Banahan.
- Before the specified duration ends.
- Leave here within three days.
2012 June 9, Owen Phillips, BBC Sport:
- And Netherlands, backed by a typically noisy and colourful travelling support, started the second period in blistering fashion and could have had four goals within 10 minutes
inclusion within scope of
before the specified duration ends