Possibly an alteration of βέλος (bélos).
- (5th BC Attic): IPA: /obelós/
- (1st BC Egyptian): IPA: /obɛlós/
- (4th AD Koine): IPA: /oβelós/
- (10th AD Byzantine): IPA: /ovelós/
- (15th AD Constantinopolitan): IPA: /ovelós/
- a spit, rod
- (ὀβελὸς λίθινος) a pointed square pillar, obelisk
- a horizontal line
Lucianus, Essays in Portraiture Defended 24
The horizontal line was used as a critical mark to point out that a passage was spurious, but with one point below and one above (÷) (ὀβελὸς περιστιγμένος (obelòs peristigménos)) it denoted superfluous passages, especially in philosophical writings.
- ὀβελίσκος (obelískos)