First attested in the Yongbi eocheonga (龍飛御天歌 / 용비어천가), 1447, as Middle Korean 말ᄊᆞᆷ (Yale: malssom). Perhaps a combination word of 말 (mal) + 숨 (sum)
- Phonetic Hangul[말:씀]
|Revised Romanization (translit.)?
말씀 • (malsseum)
- (honorific) word or speech
태초에 말씀이 계시니라, 이 말씀이 하나님과 함께 계셨으니, 이 말씀은 곧 하나님이시니라.
(Korean Bible, 요한복음 (John) 1:1)
- Taecho-e malsseumi gyesinira, i malsseumi hananimgwa hamkke gyesyeosseuni, i malsseumeun got hananimisinira.
- In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
- 말 (mal, “word, speech, language”)
- 낱말 (nanmal, “word”)
- 말씀하다 (malsseumhada, “to speak, to say”)